Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Claims in Maryland

Uninsured Motorist Claims in Maryland: What are they and what you should do.

It’s a scary thought but something all of us should keep in mind. An estimated 12% of Maryland drivers and 15% of DC drivers are either underinsured or have no vehicle insurance at all. What do you do if you are hit by an uninsured driver? File for coverage under an Uninsured Motorist Claim.

How do I get Uninsured Motorist Coverage?

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage is available from your Insurance Carrier as an extra source of compensation in the event of an accident. Much like Gap Insurance or PIP Coverage , it allows you to recover more from you Maryland car accident than what the at-fault driver can provide. Your Maryland personal injury attorney makes a UM/UIM claim against your insurance company as well as the other driver. If your Insurance Carrier rejects the claim, your Maryland accident lawyer can file a claim against your insurance company for breach of contract.

How do these claims work?

In the case of an Maryland Underinsured Motorist Claim, compensation from the other driver must be the maximum of his coverage. For example, if the other driver has a $30000 liability policy then that entire $30000 must go to you. Your Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage covers the balance of whatever the jury awards. If the at-fault driver has no insurance, then the entire Maryland injury claim is covered by your uninsured motorist coverage. The downside is you cannot recover more than the limit of your UM/UIM coverage. In the case of a hit-and-run, uninsured motorist coverage protects you both as a driver and pedestrian.

Need help with a Maryland accident case? I’m an experienced Maryland personal injury and accident attorney who has helped lots of people like you. Call me for a no-obligation, no-cost consultation before you speak to any insurance adjuster or sign any forms. I can be reached at 1-877-566-2408 or 301-563-9575.